The job search platform is currently in a state of transformation, and at the heart of this change is Artificial Intelligence (AI). Whether you’re exploring opportunities through staffing companies, recruiting agencies, or going at it alone on various job boards, understanding the influence of AI is important for successful job search. If you new to making yourself available for new opportunities, the platform has changed quite a bit. This is a general manual on how AI is changing and impacting the job search process. Some things might frustrate you because they are so different, but there are also benefits. These items will help you understand how to leverage it for your advantage.
- Broadening the Scope of Job Opportunities
First, AI isn’t confined to any specific pathway for job searching. Major job boards like indeed, zip recruiter and many others utilize AI algorithms to tailor job recommendations based on a user’s profile, search history, and application patterns. This probably does not surprise you. From my perspective, there is still a lot of refining to be done in the accuracy with this technology, but it does work, and it adds value to you as a job seeker. Getting these set up properly can essentially do a lot of your job searching for you. Whether you’re directly on a company’s website, a job board, or a staffing agency platform, you’re presented with opportunities most aligned with your credentials and aspirations.
Benefits for Applicants:
- Receive more relevant job alerts, cutting down on the time and energy spent sifting through mismatched positions. (Hint) make sure to fill out your profile completely on these job boards. Not only will the job boards make you more searchable, but it improves accuracy.
- Discover opportunities you might not have considered but are well-suited for based on AI’s analysis.
- Improving Your Resume and Profile Optimization
To ensure your resume doesn’t get lost in the shuffle, (you know, the big dark hole it seems resumes go when you submit them) understanding how AI screening works is critical. AI-powered systems scan resumes, searching for relevant keywords and qualifications that match job descriptions. And it is very precise and exact. So, this means that the keywords you use for each position you apply for and the format that your resume is in matters.
What Applicants Need to Know:
- It is very important that you customize your resume for each application. Make certain it contains keywords and phrases that are mentioned in job description.
- Use clear, standardized job titles and avoid fancy jargon or creative phrasing or any kind of imaging that might not be recognized by AI tools. This includes the format that the words on your resume are in. Some systems will not be able to read JPEG files or if your resume is any kind of digital image rather than text.
- The Beginning of AI-Powered Interview Platforms for Initial Screening
Some organizations are now using AI-driven platforms for preliminary interviews and screening questions, analyzing candidates’ speech patterns, and facial expressions to assess their suitability for the role. This technology is still being developed and refined. However, at some of the staffing conferences that I have been to, it is clear that this technology is getting better and better. I would advise you to not be too surprised if you are asked to participate in one soon. It is still yet to be known whether this will be a good or bad thing for either the employee or employer, but here are a couple of benefits to the employee that I see.
Advantages for Applicants:
- It provides an opportunity for you to practice and prepare how you will answer questions in a face-to-face interview.
- Offers great flexibility in scheduling as these can often be done at any time. This offers a great benefit for those who are currently working and trying to apply for jobs on weekends and after hours.
- Minimizing General Human Error
One of the significant advantages of AI is its potential to minimize human error in hiring. By relying on data-driven decisions, there’s a reduced chance of missing key matches in the resume. Every recruiter is so very busy and when you receive over 100 resumes in a day often times, AI should drastically reduce the margin of error.
What Applicants Need to Know:
- While AI can minimize the margin of error from a data standpoint, it’s essential to be aware that algorithms are only as good as the data they’re trained on. A good recruiter will always be able to see potential. I think that is one thing that AI is far from recognizing or having the ability to perfect. Although our world is moving further away from networking in person and developing in-person relationships, I think this is a very important step to not abandon as a job searching activity. In fact, it might still be one of the most important things to do. AI is incredible and its ability is clearly helpful. But I strongly encourage you to not abandon this tried-and-true truth of job searching. Generally, 80% of all jobs that are a “good fit” are found through networking.
- 5. Educational Development and Skill Recommendations
AI can be a good first step in your research to suggest courses, workshops, and training based on your profile, desired career path, and gaps in your resume.
Benefits for Applicants:
- You can stay updated with the skills employers are looking for. Remember to validate this with other professionals in your area before you commit to something that would be a significant financial investment. AI is very good but might be more accurate in other areas of the country.
- Increase your marketability and worth in the job market by investing in yourself. Which is usually the best investment you can make
AI will absolutely to grow its way into the structure of job searching and understanding its benefits and weaknesses is very important to know for current job seekers. Understanding what it is capable of and not capable of might be the best knowledge you can have. By staying informed and adapting strategies to make AI work for you, you not only increase your chances of landing your desired role but also ensure a smoother, more efficient job search experience. Remember, AI is a tool. With the right knowledge and approach, you can harness its power and tools to propel your career forward.